This two day course is aimed at health professionals, researchers, academics and postgraduate students who are planning to undertake or manage qualitative research using in-depth or semi structured interviews or those who have already collected qualitative interview data which they are unsure how to analyse. Everyone is welcome, regardless of research background. The course introduces the principles and practice of qualitative interview data analysis, with particular emphasis on thematic analysis techniques. It uses a combination of practical workshops, group discussions and formal lectures. The course also gives an overview of other qualitative analysis approaches and techniques.
The course will include:
- sessions focusing on the principles of qualitative data analysis with particular emphasis on thematic analysis
- demonstrations, practical exercises and small group work to develop participants’ skills in coding interview data and in constructing broader categories to conceptualise the data using the OSOP (one sheet of paper) technique
- feedback sessions to help improve understanding
- a brief overview of other analysis approaches and techniques
By the end of the course students will:
- have an understanding of the principles of qualitative interview data analysis with particular emphasis on thematic analysis
- understand the key stages in the analytical process
- have gained practical experience of coding, categorising and conceptualising qualitative interview data using a thematic analysis approach
- be aware of other approaches to qualitative data analysis.
Course fee: £620