Public Open Morning: Primary Care Medical Research in the Community
Professor Richard Hobbs, Head of Department
Saturday, 21 September 2013, 9.30am to 1pm
Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, Walton Street, Jericho, OxfordSign up now
Your Health in Your Hands: Take this exclusive opportunity to hear about the future-shaping medical research that the Department of Primary Care Health Sciences is carrying out for the wider community and find out how you can play a part in it.
Join us in New Radcliffe House, Jericho, where our GPs and researchers, many of whom work in Oxford-based doctors' surgeries, will be demonstrating some of the hands-on research that's changing the face of primary care at home and overseas.
Programme of Interactive Events (agenda subject to change)
On the day, you'll be able to:
- Talk to leading researchers about how you can take control of your blood pressure from the comfort of your own home
- Understand how changes you make to your lifestyle can help prevent chronic diseases like blood pressure and heart disease
- Hear how we collect and use people's experience of care in areas such as cancer and get involved in our research
- Find out more about the research we’re doing to help children in Africa
- See our ground-breaking research in chronic kidney disease
- Mission Slimpossible? Learn how our research is finding new ways for GPs to keep us all healthy.
- NEW SESSION: Learn how we're using new techniques to diagnose serious illnesses in children
- NEW SESSION: Behind the smokescreen: Learn about current issues in smoking, ways to quit and your lung health
- NEW SESSION: New techniques to diagnose coughs
- NEW SESSION: Lifestyle changes for improved health
- NEW SESSION: Demonstration of the Vscan hand held ultrasound device (GE Healthcare)
- NEW SESSION: Slide show demonstrating the AURAS-AF electronic reminder system
In addition, Professor Richard Hobbs, Head of Department and one of the foremost GP researchers in the world will give a talk on “What’s new in Primary Care Research?” at 10 am, repeated at 11.00 am (maximum 60 places per session)
Changes to Programme (as at 12 August 2013)
We regret that the following interactive events which were previously advertised will now not be available on the day however we have replaced these with new sessions which you can see listed in the programme information above.
- Find out how to rate your healthcare online
- Try some traditional herbal medicines
- Check your cardiovascular risk using the latest fingerstick blood test
Who can attend?
This event is open to members of the public who want to hear more about our research. It also coincides with the Oxford University Alumni Weekend so we look forward to welcoming Alumni to our offices once again this year.
The online booking system for the Department Open Morning is now closed. Spaces are still available and last minute registrations can be made by calling us on 01865 289300.
Please note that there is no parking available at the Department of Primary Care Health Sciences. We recommend using the Park and Ride Facilities or public car parks in central Oxford.
Members of the public attend this event at their own risk. By registering for this event attendees accept that, if they consent to undertake any clinical tests in the Department, it is their personal responsibility to follow up with their own GP any results that show anything out of the normal range. The Department of Primary Care Health Sciences is not able to take any responsibility for follow-up
Tel: +44 (0) 1865 289300