Science Transit Shuttle updates
The Science Shuttle will not operate from 18 April – 22 April 2019 inclusive . Please make alternative travel arrangements if you are working on these days.
Update on new Science Shuttle contract
The Science Transit Shuttle three-year pilot project, which ends in July, has successfully shown demand for a service between Oxford and Harwell, as well as along other routes between the Science Area, Old Road Campus/JR Hospital and Wytham.
We have carried out a tender to run the service from July 2019 to July 2022, and have now identified a preferred supplier. We are currently finalising the joint financial contributions for the next three years from the University and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) while we negotiate the new supplier contract.
More details will be announced during April once the new contract has been signed. We can advise in the meantime that the new contract will offer the following:
- Additional capacity on the ST1 service
- Removal of timetable gaps on the ST2 & ST3 routes
- More ticketing options.
To prepare for the new contract:
- 52-week commuter cards are no longer available
- Existing 52-week cards valid after mid-July will be refunded pro rata in July
- 13-week commuter cards will only be available for sale up to 12 April 2019.
Thank you to everyone who completed our survey. We received 458 responses, from:
University employees, students or joint appointments including 142 from Medical Sciences Division, 111 from Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division and 53 from other parts of the University
Employees at Harwell
Visitors to the University
You rated your experience of the shuttle as:
A total of 41% of University respondents said the shuttle had allowed them to collaborate on research!
What you valued most about the service was:
- Fast journeys
- Frequency of buses
You have asked for improvements in these areas:
- Additional capacity/increased frequency, especially on the ST1 route
- Addressing the ST1 queuing problems, particularly at Harwell
- Better identification of stops and of each shuttle’s route
- More ticketing options
- Filling lunchtime timetable gaps on the ST2 & ST3 routes
- Extending the hours of operation.
Thank you, we are working on using your feedback to improve the service!
The Science Shuttle Team