Senior Trial Manager
I have been working as a trial manager in the academic arena since 1998. My experience in therapeutic research has included projects in primary and secondary care (physiotherapy and surgery) including the following studies:
- The early use of Antibiotics for at Risk CHildren with InfluEnza in primary care (ARCHIE): a double-blind randomised placebo-controlled trial funded by National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Programme Grants for Applied Research (PGfAR)
- Montelukast for Persistent Coughs Trial (MAC, a double blind randomised placebo controlled trial of Montelukast in the treatment of acute persistent cough in young people and adults (aged 16-49) in primary care) funded by NIHR School for Primary Care Research
- Children And Persistent cough Study (CAPS, Epidemiology of Bordetella pertussis and Mycoplasma pneumoniae in children and adolescents aged 5 to 15 years presenting with acute persistent cough in primary care.) funded by NIHR School for Primary Care Research
- Asymptomatic Carotid Surgery Trial-2 (ACST-2, international multicentre randomised) funded by National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Health Technology Assessment (HTA).
- The Spine Stabilisation Trial (SST - multicentre randomised) funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Low Back Pain Trial (multicentre randomised) funded by the Arthritis Research Council (ARC)
A trial manager should be pragmatic and adjust to the needs of each study to ensure that it is completed to a high standard on time and to budget. In my experience the role has included:
- designing questionnaires, assessment systems and databases,
- monitoring the quality and performance of systems and personnel,
- motivating recruitment,
- monitoring trending data and chasing follow-up,
- providing submissions, notifications and annual reports to the funding bodies as well as ethics committees and R& D and regulatory agencies,
- hiring, training, and managing personnel,
- managing the dissemination of results through research publications and presentations.