Support for cycling for staff and students
The department and university offer a wide range of services to help support more sustainable travel, including cycling.
We’ve gathered a range of useful links and tips from the department and University below, or you can use the quick links to the side to go direct to what you're looking for:
Borrow a department bike:
In total there are six departmental bikes (Gazelle esprit c3's, pictured) available for staff and student use in the department.
Four bikes (including electric) are kept in the RPC bike shed, and two outside of Eagle House.
To book using the University Planon booking system: Planon Login (planoncloud.com).
Note: If you don’t already have a Planon login you will need to fill out an application form available on the Estates Services Helpdesk webpage: FM Helpdesk Application Form | Estates Services (ox.ac.uk). The Helpdesk can take up to a day to set-up your account.
For any queries about the bikes please contact Jessy Morton: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Example commuter routes used by staff
- Here are some used by your colleagues to get into the offices
- Cyclox, a cycling membership organisation supported by the university, provides maps of all the on-road and traffic-free cycle routes in Oxford
Want to buy a bike?
- Bicycle loans: interest-free loans to buy a bicycle and safety equipment (staff only). 10% discount in local shops (staff and students).
- Cycle to work scheme: a salary sacrifice scheme enabling employees to purchase a new bike out of their pre-tax income via the Green Commute Initiative.
Cycle training, safety and security
- Free cycle training for staff and students: This covers basic bike handling skills for total beginners through to advanced skills for safe cycling in challenging traffic situations.
- Be seen: Stay safe by having front and rear lights (a requirement in the UK). There are also many bright, reflective products. Maintain a good position on the road.
- Cycle safety: discounted LED cycle lights, D-Locks and free bike registration to keep you and your bike safe.
Discounted (near) on-site servicing
Visit the Bike doctors at a convenient site nearby!
Walton Street Cycles
- Radcliffe Observatory Quarter, Woodstock Road, behind the Mathematical Institute, second and fourth Fridays of the month 8:30am – 3:30pm.
- St Cross/Manor Rd Buildings car park, St Cross Road, first and third Fridays of the month 8:30am – 3:30pm.
Oxford Mobile Cycle Repairs
- Oxford University Old Road Campus (between the Big Data Institute and Kennedy Institute buildings), Fridays 9am – 5pm. This service operates via a booking sheet available midday - 4pm on Thursdays at the Richard Doll Building reception. Payment is by cash only.
- University Club, Wednesdays 9am – 4pm. Located in the cycle parking area. Use the vehicle delivery entrance to the University Club by the fenced sports pitch and follow the curved wall round to the right. Payment is by cash only.