Athena Swan SAT and Better Workplace Groups
Recognising advancement of gender equality: representation, progression and success for all.
Athena SWAN self-assessment team
Our department's Athena Swan Self-Assessment Team works to drive forward the development and improvement of practical steps towards the advancement of equality. They are responsible for substantial self-analysis, and will strive to ensure that the principles of Athena Swan are embedded throughout the culture of the Department.
The SAT works together with the Department’s Better Workplace Groups to enhance working life for all staff and students and to encourage engagement and inclusion
To date, the Group has achieved one Athena Swan Bronze, two consecutive Athena Swan Silver Awards and one Athena Swan Gold Award.
A comprehensive department action plan aims to:
- Support and advance women's careers
- Nurture a department culture that promotes sharing and cooperation, recognises achievements and supports work-life balance for all staff and researchers
- Encourage personal development including mentorship
- Support new staff, ensuring they feel welcome and integrate quickly
The Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team is chaired by James Sheppard.
Read more about the University of Oxford's participation in Athena SWAN.
View our Gold Application (awarded March 2023).
View the Athena SWAN SAT full terms of reference
Meet the NDPCHS SAT
Chair of Athena Swan SAT and Data Monitoring Group
|Vacant Athena Swan Deputy||Catherine Pope Associate Head for People, Equality,
Diversity and Inclusion
|Richard Hobbs Head of Department|
|Nicola Small Head of Administration||Clare Wickings Head
|Nicola Webb HR
|Jo Gearing Head of Communications|
|Kamal Mahtani chair Personal Development working group||Stavros Petrou chair Workload Allocation
|Charlotte Albury a
representative of the E&MCR
|Claire Friedemann Smith a representative of the E&MCR|
|Lucy Goddard a DPhil representative||
Michelle Yeung a DPhil
Johanna Cook a
Engagement and Projects Manager and SAT Secretary
Core’ working groups
To support its work, the SAT will work through a small number of ‘core’ groups. These are:
|Athena SWAN 'core' groups||Group Chair|
|Personal development||Kamal Mahtani
|Workload allocation||Stavros Petrou|
|Early & Mid-Career Researchers||Lauren Bandy and Rebecca Barnes|
|Data monitoring||James Sheppard|
|Bullying and Harassment||Kathryn Ungerer|
Core’ groups will:
- Be supported by the Departmental Engagement and Projects Manager.
- Meet termly.
- Ensure effective monitoring and measurement against agreed actions.
- Report progress, successes and challenges to each meeting of the SAT.
Better Workplace and Equality and Diversity Groups
The Better Workplace and Equality and Diversity working groups support the broad aims of a 'better workplace' but are not strictly limited to the limit of the Athena SWAN Charter. We allow and encourage colleagues to identify areas of need and create and run working groups to tackle these areas.
The working groups will:
- Meet on a cycle determined by their membership.
- Report membership and achievements via the Department newsletter.
- Report annually to the SAT on progress, successes and challenges.
- Liaise informally with the Head of Administration, the Athena Swan Lead and Deputy Leads and the Engagement and Projects Manager as appropriate, for advice on how best to share those successes or overcome any challenges faced.
Better Workplace Working Groups:
|Wellbeing||Jessy Morton||Catherine Pope|
|Green Impact||Marta Santillo OR Charlotte Thompson-Grant||John Powell|
If you wish to join a group, contact the group lead.
Would you like to start a new group? Contact Kathryn Ungerer