The BUMP Trial - Blood pressure monitoring in pregnancy
The BUMP trial is testing whether monitoring blood pressure at home during pregnancy can help the early detection of hypertension and pre-eclampsia.
Around one in ten women will have high blood pressure in pregnancy. For some women this may be a sign of pre-eclampsia, which is usually detected in routine appointments through blood pressure and urine checks. We would like to find out if home blood pressure monitoring might help early identification of hypertension and pre-eclampsia.
We are working with NHS sites in London, Thames Valley and the West Midlands to recruit over 2,000 pregnant women into this trial.
Half the women taking part will be asked to monitor their blood pressure (the self-monitoring group). All participants will continue to their receive routine NHS care during their pregnancy and be asked to complete a few short questionnaires. The group each participant is in will be decided by chance.
For more information about the trial, please contact the Trial Manager, Marloes Franssen: email@example.com, 0800 9150045
NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research (RP-PG-0614-20005)
- Prof Sheila Greenfield - University of Birmingham, Qualitative research.
- Dr James Hodgkinson - University of Birmingham, Qualitative research.
- Prof Christine McCourt – City University London, Qualitative research.
- Dr Lucy Mackillop - Oxford John Radcliffe Hospital, site P.I.
- Dr Oliver Rivero-Arias (National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit (NPEU), University of Oxford)
- Professor Jane Sandall (St Thomas’ Hospital, King's College London)
- Professor Paul Leeson (Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust)
- Professor Sheila Greenfield (University of Birmingham)
- Lucy Yardley (Oxford and Southampton)
- Dr Margaret Glogowska, Mrs Tricia Carver and Dr Paula Cole - patient and public involvement representatives.
- Midwives, GP’s and health professionals across Oxfordshire and Birmingham are involved in this research.
- Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Guy's and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust
- Barts Health NHS Trust
- The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
- Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- Central Manchester University Hospitals
- Whipps Cross University Hospital
- King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- West Middlesex University Hospital
- Kingston Hospital
- St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Birmingham Women's NHS Foundation Trust