Supervisor for Helen Ashdown: Predicting inhaled steroid responsiveness using near-patient testing: Personalizing long-term management of COPD in primary care. NIHR Clinical Research Training Fellowship, University of Oxford.
Supervisor for Haroon Ahmed: Improving Outcomes for Older People with Urinary Tract Infection in Primary Care. NIHR Clinical Research Training Fellowship, Cardiff University.
Co-supervisor for Elftheria Vasileiou: Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness in Asthma. Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research, Edinburgh University.
Co-supervisor for Oghenekome Gbinigie: Improving the diagnosis and management of serious bacterial infections in older adults. Wellcome Trust, University of Oxford.
Co-supervisor for Rachel Greer: Can Testing for C-reactive Protein Improve the targeting of Antibiotics in the Community? Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, Open University.
Supervisor for Helene-Mari van der Westhuizen: Translating policy into practice: reducing nosocomial Tuberculosis transmission in South Africa. Rhodes Scholarship, University of Oxford.
Supervisor for Jienchi Dorward: Point-of-care viral load testing and mHealth adherence support to enhance primary care HIV services in South Africa. Wellcome Trust, University of Oxford.
BA MBChB DCH CCH MD FRCGP (Hon)FFPH FMedSci
Professor of Primary Care
- lead the Infections and Acute Care Research Group
- Clinical Director of the University of Oxford Primary Care Clinical Trials Unit
- Clinical Director of the NIHR MedTech and In Vitro Diagnostics Cooperative for innovative diagnostic and monitoring technology to enhance Community Healthcare
- Professorial Fellow at Trinity College
- Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Senior Investigator
- Chair of the Longitude Prize Advisory Panel
- Salaried GP in Mountain Ash in South Wales for the Cwm Taf University Health Board and, in 2019, was awarded the Wales Royal College of General Practitioner’s patient-nominated GP of the Year Award
- Honorary Visiting Professor, Cardiff University
- Honorary Professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and HIV Medicine at University of Cape Town
- Part time Professor, Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University
I trained in Medicine at the University of Cape Town, did doctoral work at the University of Wales College of Medicine, and studied Clinical Epidemiology at The University of Toronto. I was appointed Professor of Primary Care in the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences at the University of Oxford in 2013.
My research focuses on common infections (especially the appropriate use of antibiotics, antibiotic resistance, point of care testing, and treatments for viral infections), and health care communication and behaviour change (co-author of Motivational Interviewing in Health Care). I have published~400 papers with a H-Index of >50. Our PACE Study won the Royal College of General Practitioners Research Paper of the Year Award in 2020.
I have led or helped lead > 20 randomised clinical trials, and In the space of 12 months, published first-author trials in the world’s top three general medical journals
- The PACE study of biomarker guided antibiotic prescribing for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive airways disease in the New England Journal of Medicine
- The ALIC4E 13 country trial of antiviral treatment for influenza like illness in The Lancet
- The PRICESS Trial of probiotics to reduce antibiotic use and prevent infections in care home residents in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
I have supervised 12 doctoral students to successful completion and currently supervise 5 doctoral students.
Chief or Co-Chief investigator for the following current or recent studies:
- The National Urgent Public Health Priority Platform Community Clinical Trial of interventions for earlier on in Covid-19-like-illness illness (The Principle Trial: https://www.principletrial.org)
- Platform randomised controlled trial of point of care diagnostics for enhancing the quality of antibiotic prescribing for community acquired acute respiratory tract infection in ambulatory care in Europe (PRUDENCE): VALUE-DX: EU Innovative Medicines Initiative 2 Joint Undertaking
- Advancing and evaluating a breakthrough Diagnostic interVention for Acute uriNary traCt infEction (ADVANCE). EIT Health Innovation by Ideas, 2nd call Business Plan 2019, Oxford lead, with Astrego, Region Uppsala. In progress.
- General Practitioner (GP) use of a C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Point of Care Test (POCT) to help target antibiotic prescribing to patients with Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (AECOPD) who are most likely to benefit (The PACE Study).
- Antivirals for influenza Like Illness? An rCt of Clinical and Cost effectiveness in primary CarE (ALIC4E), which is part of the Platform foR European Preparedness Against (Re-)emerging Epidemics (PREPARE) consortium.
- Probiotics to Reduce Infections iN Care homE reSidentS (PRINCESS).
- A phase II study to determine the safety and efficacy of candidate INfluenza Vaccine MVA-NP+M1 in combination with licensed InaCTivated inflUenza vaccine in adultS aged 65 years and above - INVICTUS.
Co-investigator on current studies:
- The effectiveness and acceptability of urine collection devices to reduce contaminated urine samples in women presenting with symptoms of urinary tract infection. A three arm trial in UK primary care (CONDUCT). NIHR RfPB. (CI Haywood)
- Improving the uptake and SusTainability of Effective interventions to promote Prudent antibiotic Use in Primary care (STEP-UP). ESRC (Cross Council Initiative) (CI Walker)
- A Multi-Centre Randomised Controlled Trial of Admission Avoidance Hospital at Home with Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment. NIHR SDO. (CI Shepherd)
- Strengthening South Africa's health system through integrating treatment for mental illness into chronic disease care (Project MIND). Wellcome Trust-DIFFID. (CI Myers)
- At-Risk Registers Integrated into primary care to Stop Asthma crises in the UK (ARRISA-UK): A pragmatic cluster randomised trial with nested economic and process evaluations examining the effects of integrating at-risk asthma registers into primary care with internet-based training and support. HTA. (CI Wilson)
- Antibiotics for Lower Respiratory Tract Infections in Children presenting in Primary Care. NIHR HTA. (CI Little)
- Antibiotic Reduction and Conservation in Hospitals (ARK-Hospital). NIHR RfPB Program Grant. (CI Peto)
- Penicillin allergy status and its effect on antimicrobial prescribing, patient outcomes, and antimicrobial resistance. Short title: ALABAMA: Allergy AntiBiotics And Microbial resistance. NIHR Program Grant for Applied Research. (CI Sandoe)
- D-mannose to prevent recurrent urinary tract infection (UTI): a double-blind, randomised, placebo controlled trial. NIHR SPCR (CI Hayward).
- REspiratory Syncytial virus Consortium in EUrope (RESCEU). IMI 2 JU Funding
- NIHR Health Protection Research Unit on Health Care Associated Infections and Antimicrobial Resistance
Francis NA. et al, (2018), The Lancet, 392, 557 - 568
Butler CC. et al, (2020), The Lancet, 395, 42 - 52
Butler CC. et al, (2019), New England Journal of Medicine, 381, 111 - 120
Butler CC. et al, (2020), JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association, 324, 47 - 56
Transformation of primary care during the COVID-19 pandemic: experiences of healthcare professionals in eight European countries
Wanat M. et al, (2021), British Journal of General Practice
Yu L-M. et al, (2021)
Ramakrishnan S. et al, (2021), Lancet Respir Med
Inhaled budesonide in the treatment of early COVID-19 illness: a randomised controlled trial
Ramakrishnan S. et al, (2021), Lancet Respiratory Medicine
Butler CC. et al, (2021), The Lancet, 397, 1063 - 1074