A list of over 270 individuals was put before the judging panel. Through debate they collectively decided those people increasing effectiveness in the NHS by leading innovation, driving policy change and aiming for continuous improvement in the quality of care delivered, not as a one-off task or project, but as a core part of their professional identity and role.
One hundred individuals from all areas of healthcare have made the inaugural list including Dr Carl Heneghan, Department of Primary Care Health Sciences.
The list was ranked alphabetically but a top 10 was created. The top 10 were:
- Professor Sir Bruce Keogh, NHS Medical Director forEngland
- Professor Sir Mike Richards, Chief Inspector of Hospitals
- Dr Don Berwick, David Cameron’s new health Tsar
- Jane Cummings, Chief Nursing Officer for England
- Professor Dame Sally Davies, Chief Medical Officer for England
- Professor Lord Ara Darzi, Paul Hamlyn Chair of Surgery, Imperial College London
- Dame Julie Moore. Chief Executive, University Hospitals Birmingham
- Dr Ben Goldacre, Wellcome Research Fellow in Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Dr Michael Dixon, GP, NHS Alliance Chair and Interim President of NHS Clinical Commissioners
- Professor Tricia Hart, Chief Executive, South Tees Hospitals Foundation Trust
The result is not just a list of people who excel in their own professional specialism but whose impact extends beyond their immediate sphere
- Alastair McLellan, Editor of Health Service Journal