Supervisor for Helen Ashdown: Predicting inhaled steroid responsiveness using near-patient testing: Personalizing long-term management of COPD in primary care. NIHR Clinical Research Training Fellowship, University of Oxford.
Supervisor for Haroon Ahmed: Improving Outcomes for Older People with Urinary Tract Infection in Primary Care. NIHR Clinical Research Training Fellowship, Cardiff University.
Co-supervisor for Elftheria Vasileiou: Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness in Asthma. Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research, Edinburgh University.
Co-supervisor for Oghenekome Gbinigie: Improving the diagnosis and management of serious bacterial infections in older adults. Wellcome Trust, University of Oxford.
Co-supervisor for Rachel Greer: Can Testing for C-reactive Protein Improve the targeting of Antibiotics in the Community? Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, Open University.
Supervisor for Helene-Mari van der Westhuizen: Translating policy into practice: reducing nosocomial Tuberculosis transmission in South Africa. Rhodes Scholarship, University of Oxford.
Supervisor for Jienchi Dorward: Point-of-care viral load testing and mHealth adherence support to enhance primary care HIV services in South Africa. Wellcome Trust, University of Oxford.
BA MBChB DCH CCH MD FRCGP (Hon)FFPH FMedSci
Professor of Primary Care
- lead the Infections and Acute Care Research Group
- Clinical Director of the University of Oxford Primary Care Clinical Trials Unit
- Clinical Director of the NIHR MedTech and In Vitro Diagnostics Cooperative for innovative diagnostic and monitoring technology to enhance Community Healthcare
- Professorial Fellow at Trinity College
- Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences
- Chair of the Longitude Prize Advisory Panel
- Honorary Professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and HIV Medicine at University of Cape Town
- Part time Professor, Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University
I trained in Medicine at the University of Cape Town, did doctoral work at the University of Wales College of Medicine, and studied Clinical Epidemiology at The University of Toronto. I was appointed Professor of Primary Care in the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences at the University of Oxford in 2013.
My research focuses on common infections (especially the appropriate use of antibiotics, antibiotic resistance, point of care testing, and treatments for viral infections), and health care communication and behaviour change (co-author of Motivational Interviewing in Health Care). I have published >400 papers and led or helped lead > 20 randomised clinical trials, and have recently published trial results in the world’s top three general medical journals. My H-Index is >60. Our PACE Study won the Royal College of General Practitioners Research Paper of the Year Award in 2020.
I have supervised 16 doctoral students to successful completion and currently supervise 3 doctoral students.
Chief or Co-Chief investigator for the following current or recent studies:
- The Priority Platform Community Clinical Trial of community treatment for epidemic and pandemic infections (PRINCIPLE: https://www.principletrial.org)
- Platform randomised controlled trial of point of care diagnostics for enhancing the quality of antibiotic prescribing for community acquired acute respiratory tract infection in ambulatory care in Europe (PRUDENCE): VALUE-DX: EU Innovative Medicines Initiative 2 Joint Undertaking
- General Practitioner (GP) use of a C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Point of Care Test (POCT) to help target antibiotic prescribing to patients with Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (AECOPD) who are most likely to benefit (The PACE Study).
- Antivirals for influenza Like Illness? An rCt of Clinical and Cost effectiveness in primary CarE (ALIC4E), which is part of the Platform foR European Preparedness Against (Re-)emerging Epidemics (PREPARE) consortium.
- Probiotics to Reduce Infections iN Care homE reSidentS (PRINCESS).
Yu L-M. et al, (2021)
Butler CC. et al, (2021), The Lancet, 397, 1063 - 1074
Butler CC. et al, (2019), New England Journal of Medicine, 381, 111 - 120
Butler CC. et al, (2020), JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association, 324, 47 - 56
Francis NA. et al, (2018), The Lancet, 392, 557 - 568
Butler CC. et al, (2020), The Lancet, 395, 42 - 52
Wanat M. et al, (2021), BMC Family Practice, 22
Dorward J. et al, (2021)
The role of locum GPs in antibiotic prescribing and stewardship: a mixed-methods study
BOREK A. et al, (2021), British Journal of General Practice
Little P. et al, (2021), The Lancet
Development of an intervention to support the implementation of evidence-based strategies for optimising antibiotic prescribing in general practice
BOREK A. et al, (2021), Implementation Science Communications