Direct Appointment / Recruitment without advertising
A direct appointment is a recruitment without advertising.
Under the following circumstances a direct appointment is the appropriate route:
- A named on grant individual
- Redeployment of an existing member of staff coming to the end of a fixed term contract
Direct appointments are subject to the same approval processes as recruiting to a new post and must be requested via the Recruitment Initiation Request Form.
Good to know
- A direct appointment request must be submitted at a minimum of 4 weeks before the individual is due to start. This is to allow sufficient time for the funding approval and the required pre-employment checks to be undertaken.
- Individuals must not undertake any work until a right to work has been completed and a contract with the official start date has been issued.
- Fellowships to be hosted at PHC to individuals not already employed in the department must be requested via the recruitment initiation request form. The set up does not happen automatically just from the application being submitted through the Grants team. The group lead hosting the fellow must ensure a line manager is assigned for the fellow and initiates the request.
- If you are in any doubt if a direct appointment is possible for your recruitment a member of the HR team will be happy to advise you. Please contact the recruitment inbox for advice.