Information for researchers
We want to give you all the assistance you need to involve PPI contributors in your research such that it is a productive experience for them and for your project
We have produced a ‘PPI Guide for Researchers’. This document can be used by any research staff involving patients, carers, members of the public and members of voluntary organisations in their research work.
There are templates for you to download and adapt. It is a living document which with your help will continue to be updated and improved, so we welcome any suggestions or feedback you may have.
- You may want to consider different ways to involve the public, rather than just speaking with them at a trial steering committee or advisory group. If so, there are a series of resources available to you as Inventive Involvement. They also include ideas for how you may work with people differently in more traditional meetings, using different communication techniques and styles.
- PPI checklist - helping researchers apply PPI at every stage of their research.
- Please give the Welcome Pack to new lay contributors on your project.
- To help you work out your PPI costs - cost calculator
- You can find the department's PPI payment policy here
- To help you plan your research - Research Design Service
- To help you recruit from the Voluntary sector these directories may assist
- South Central regional service supports Oxford University researchers in all aspects of formulating a research proposal, including methodology, statistics, health economics and support for Patient and Public Involvement in research - Oxford University Research Support
- To help you recruit locally - Patients Active In Research
- To help you decide on your research questions - James Lind Alliance
- National non-profit making initiative which brings patients, carers and clinicians together to identify and prioritise the top 10 uncertainties, or 'unanswered questions', about the effects of treatments that they agree are most important.
- You can also download the Research Design Service Researchers PPI Handbook