Two outstanding Professors in the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences have been newly appointed to the NIHR College of Senior Investigators for 2021:
- Professor Catherine Pope, Professor of Medical Sociology
- Professor John Powell, Professor of Digital Health Care
Reappointed for a second term:
- Professor Stavros Petrou, Professor of Health Economics
Reappointments to Emeritus status:
- Professor David Mant, Emeritus Professor of General Practice
- Professor Sue Ziebland, Professor of Medical Sociology
31 new appointments were made this year, six of whom are at the University of Oxford. There are a total of 200 Senior Investigators across the NIHR, with 13 in the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences.
Researchers are appointed as Senior Investigators due to their outstanding contribution to clinical and applied health and social care research. They are described by the NIHR as being “among the most prominent and prestigious researchers funded by the NIHR and the most outstanding leaders of patient and people-based research.”
Their role is to provide leadership to the NIHR Faculty, promoting research and mentoring trainees. They also act as a key source of advice to the Department of Health and Social Care's Chief Scientific Advisor.
See the full list of NIHR Senior Investigators in the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences.