The department offers a number of fully funded studentships to outstanding applicants every year.
To be considered for full funding, candidates applying to start a course from October must submit their University application by the early January deadline (12:00 midday on 10th January 2020).
All candidates submitting applications by the early January deadline will automatically be considered for full funding from a number of sources including the MRC, the Clarendon Fund, Oxford Colleges and numerous charitable sources. Further details can be found here.
Please note that the selection of highly-ranked applicants for these studentships is a competitive process, with some opportunities open to applicants across the whole Medical Sciences Division.
These studentships are not linked to any specific projects but a list of potential projects available for research students can be found here. Individual supervisors can be contacted by email about their projects. Students are also welcome to define their own project/research proposal for an application; these projects/proposals can be sent to the supervisors(s) that you identify to ascertain if the department can accommodate such a project.
- Errors in recording of diagnosis dates in electronic healthcare records
- Health economic aspects of childhood obesity
- Oxford-Wolfson-Marriott and Applied Research Collaboration (ARC) studentship in behavioural research and childhood obesity
- Hypertension self-management in pregnancy
- Developing the evidence for active intervention to support smoking cessation in cardiovascular disease (BHF funded studentship)
- Prevalence, safety and efficacy of deprescribing cardio-protective medications in older adults
External funding opportunities
DPhil candidates are encouraged to apply for other independent funding sources for which they may be eligible, for example:
- Wellcome Trust
- British Heart Foundation
- Diabetes UK
- Cancer Research UK
- Stroke Association
- National Institute for Health Research
- Medical Research Council
A more extensive list of potential external scholarships can be found on this page of the university website.