Committees, Working Groups & Open Meetings
Committees & Working Groups
Our committees and working groups contribute to decision-making in the department. To view the terms of reference and membership for each committee, click on one of the links below:
> Senior Management Committee
> Information Governance Committee
> Finance, Resources and General Purpose Committee
> Research Committee
> Graduate Studies Committee
> Teaching Committee
> Athena SWAN SAT, Equality & Diversity and Better Workplace Groups
> Green Impact
Committee Meeting Minutes
Guiding principles for diversity, inclusivity and intersectionality
- An inclusive culture is important in this Department.
- Diversity and inclusivity brings positive value to our Department.
- Diversity in numbers is irrelevant if difference and diversity of thought aren’t welcomed – we welcome diversity.
- Inclusion needs to be practised in all areas of the Department.
- We need to be prepared to change.
- We are accountable and understand the impact of decisions we make.
- It is not the job of disadvantaged groups to fix the problems created by oppression or discrimination. We will listen and learn from BAME staff, students, and advisors, but the work of improving our policies and practices will not be led exclusively by BAME staff or other staff from groups that have been marginalised or discriminated against.
Equality and Diversity and Better Workplace Groups
Staff and Student Surveys
Equality and Diversity and Better Workplace Groups support the broad aims of a ‘better workplace’ but may not be strictly limited to the remit of the Athena SWAN Charter. The department takes a ‘bottom up’ approach to these groups, allowing and encouraging colleagues to identify areas of need and create and run working groups to tackle those areas as needed.
The working groups:
- Meet on a cycle determined by their membership.
- Report membership and achievements via the Department newsletter.
- Report annually to the SAT on progress, successes and challenges.
- Liaise informally with the Head of Administration, the Athena SWAN Lead and Deputy Leads and the Engagement and Projects Manager as appropriate, for advice on how best to share those successes or overcome any challenges faced.
To join a group, contact the working group lead.
Meeting summaries & FAQs (SSO log-in required)
Open meetings provide an opportunity to share and talk about research, highlights the work of our Better Workplace Groups and facilitates termly Q&As with senior members of the department.
Held twice-per-term, there are two different types of meeting:
- Research and Better Workplace Group: includes talks from three research teams and one Better Workplace Group
- Panel Q&A with leadership talk: Questions will be collected in advance of these meetings. Leadership talks will cover a range of topics from 'creating a research group' to 'working with policy makers.'